A Little Bit About This Recipe:
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I LOVE banana bread. It is possibly my favorite sweet treat. While this recipe is still a treat, it is has been adapted to be healthier with the replacement of sugar with raw honey which, while it still contains natural sugars, is also packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and also cuts 300 calories from the original recipe. Also, a full stick of butter has been replaced with 8 oz of unsweetened applesauce which provides plenty of moisture while cutting out an additional 710 calories from the original recipe and sharing many of the same healthy nutrients in apples. We certainly enjoyed this recipe and we hope you will as well. Please let us know what you think! More great recipes to come! Have a happy and healthy day 🙂
- ½ Cup -3/4 Cup Raw Honey
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Ripe Bananas
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Cups Gluten-free Flour (or whatever flour you would like. We chose gluten-free because my wife is gluten intolerant.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon iodized salt
Utensils and Appliances Needed:
- One large bowl and two medium bowls
- Optional: Kitchen Aid can be used for easier mixing
- One 9 in x 5 in x 3 in bread loaf pan
- One fork
- One Whisk
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 325oF
- Spray a 9 in x 5 in x 3 in bread loaf pan with non-stick spray
- Mix the honey and the unsweetened applesauce together in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add the eggs to the honey & applesauce mixture and beat well until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Mix in milk and cinnamon with the mashed bananas. A
- In another medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the banana mixture to the applesauce mixture and stir together until well combined.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture until well combined.
- Bake at 325oF for 70 – 80 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy 🙂
Nutrition Facts (Per Slice, Recipe Makes 10 Slices, Based on Using 1/2 Cup Raw Honey)