A Little Bit About This Recipe:
This recipe was a gift to my wife and I for our wedding from our family friend, Cathy Noolner. We have only made a couple small changes to it to make it slightly healthier, but no less delicious. It is a wonderful and easy to make recipe and takes me back to my childhood with a taste that reminds me of sloppy joes. It is sure to please whatever sized crowd you have. For a slightly leaner BBQ, feel free to trade the chuck roast for another cut such as top round roast. Ketchup was swapped for tomato paste for a more natural and less sugary option with all of the same flavor. One of the great things about this recipe is it is very versatile. It can be served on a bun, over rice or potatoes, or by itself. It has a flavor that can go with many dishes and is only limited by your creativity. Give this delicious recipe a try and let us know what you think!
Utensils & Appliances Needed:
- 4 Quart Slow Cooker or Larger
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Forks for shredding and eating
- 2 Medium Bowls
- 1 Small Sauce Pan
- Spoon/Whisk for Stirring
- 2-2.5lb boneless chuck roast, trimmed or top round roast (leaner)
- 2 Medium Onions, Chopped
- 3/4 Cup Sugar-Free Cola
- 1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Beef Bouillon Granules (or 1 Bullion Cube smashed)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard or Turmeric
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Red Pepper or Paprika
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Olive or Canola Oil
- Combine roast and chopped onions in a 4 quart slow coooker.
- Combine cola, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic, beef bouillon granules, dry mustard, chili powder, and ground red pepper in a medium bowl.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture in the refrigerator and add the remaining mixture over the roast and onions.
- Cook covered on high for 6 hours or until roast is very tender. Drain and shred roast and keep warm.
- Combine reserved 1/2 cup of cola mixture, tomato paste and olive/canola oil in a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly just until thoroughly heated.
- Pour over shredded roast and stir gently
- Serve by itself or on a bun.
- Enjoy 🙂
Left, Based on 2.5lbs of Chuck Roast, Serving Size ~4oz,
Right, Based on 2.5lbs Top Round Roast, Serving Size ~4oz